Radish Lab is a purpose-driven creative agency, shaping stories and sharpening brands for organizations improving the world. Right now we’re working with organizations developing innovative approaches to extreme poverty, creating a better world for refugees, and fighting climate change. We specialize in web design, strategy, and branding. We are looking for a freelance designer with a minimum of 4 years of professional experience, and an excellent eye for design, detail, and user experience, to join our growing team of freelance designers.
You are passionate about helping to create a just and equitable world. You’re comfortable working within an iterative and collaborative process. You have an intentional, holistic, and systems-thinking approach to your work. You’re equally energized creating and crafting narratives around design concepts as well as providing the polishing details to design going out the door. You’ve got ideas, you find inspiration around you, and you’ve got your finger on the pulse of what’s awesome in design right now. You’re interested in a longer trajectory of learning and growing within an agency. Plus, you’ve got a sense of humor.
What You’ll Do:
Design is at the core of the Radish Lab product. As a designer you will contribute to a variety of purpose-driven projects ranging from large-scale consumer-facing websites to branding and collateral work to campaigns, under the management of our Design Director with feedback and support from our Creative Director.
Minimum of 4 years of professional experience, preferably in an agency Strong proficiency in Figma Strong understanding of design systems We are only considering applicants within 3 hours of the EST timezone See below for more requirements and nice-to-haves
- Concept solutions from a brief that apply unique and creative thinking
- Craft a narrative and provide rationale around creative decisions that can be presented written or orally with supporting visuals to teammates and to external teams with assistance
- Filter and incorporate creative feedback
- Create thorough, polished, and thoughtful design prototypes that build on the agreed creative direction and use best practices including rules of typography, layout, and accessible web design
- Use art direction, basic interaction, and copy editing skills to create mockups and/or suggest improvements
- Use systems thinking to identify outside factors, unknowns, technical constraints, future maintainability, and edge cases that can impact a user interface
- Prepare production-ready files with annotations and specifications outlined in Radish’s design process
- Provide review on design projects including creative QA for web, press checks, and answering technical questions
- Occasionally present concepts to clients when necessary
- Strong attention to detail (You catch the missing period in the mock-up.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (You ask good questions early.)
- Take direction from teammates regarding organizing and prioritizing work on a weekly basis
- Be self sufficient and accountable in daily tasks and time management, and ask for help when roadblocks and challenges arise
- Ask questions to gain clarity and understanding of a project
- Participate in giving actionable design feedback in internal meetings and reviews that builds on the brief and follows best practices
- A demonstrated commitment to social change in a professional or personal context
- A genuine desire to work with a team of kind, empathetic, and curious people looking to create thoughtful and meaningful work, while also having fun
Nice to Have:
- Experience freelancing in an agency
- Experience working with nonprofits
- Experience or knowledge of design systems
- Experience presenting to stakeholders or clients
Radish Lab is a remote-first agency. Many Radishes are based in New York and occasionally come into our physical office but it is not required. For this position, you must be within 3 hours of the EST time zone. You must be able to work 8 hours per day, between the hours of 7AM and 8PM EST. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.
The budget for this contract position is 40-60 USD per hour.
Want to know more about Radish?
Job Application Link: https://radishlab.recruitee.com/o/freelance-digital-designer-for-a-social-impact-focused-design-agency
Radish Lab is a woman-owned, LGBTQ-managed, purpose-driven creative agency shaping stories and sharpening brands for organizations improving the world.
Our member agencies are always looking for the best candidates to hire.