Radish Lab is a purpose-driven creative agency, shaping stories and sharpening brands for organizations improving the world. Right now we’re working with organizations developing innovative approaches to extreme poverty, creating a better world for refugees, and fighting climate change.
We are looking for a Freelance Designer with an excellent eye for design, detail, and user experience to work on projects in the coming months.
- This position is remote
- Approximately 20 hours per week with availability for meetings expected within business hours, 9am–5pm EST
- Looking for someone who can begin within 1-2 weeks and work a minimum of six weeks
- Hourly rate range is $30-50 per hour
You’re comfortable working within an iterative and collaborative process. You have an intentional, holistic, and systems-thinking approach to your work. You’re equally energized creating and crafting narratives around design concepts as well as providing the polishing details to design going out the door. Plus, you’ve got a sense of humor.
What You’ll Do:
As a Freelance Designer you will contribute to a variety of purpose-driven projects ranging from large-scale consumer-facing websites to branding and collateral work to campaigns, under the management of our Creative and Managing Director and feedback and support from our Senior Designer.
- Conduct design research and collect references based on a brief, can suggest additional ideas from research
- Concept solutions from a brief that apply unique and creative thinking
- Craft a narrative and provide rationale around creative decisions that can be presented written or orally with supporting visuals to teammates and to external teams with assistance
- Filter and incorporate creative feedback with assistance
- Create thorough, polished, and thoughtful design prototypes that build on the agreed creative direction and use best practices including rules of typography and layout
- Uses art direction, basic interaction, and copy editing skills to create mockups and/or suggest improvements
- Uses systems thinking to identify outside factors, unknowns, technical constraints, future maintainability, and edge cases that can impact a user interface
- Prepare production-ready files with annotations and specifications outlined in Radish’s design process
- Provide review on design projects including creative QA for web, press checks, and answering technical questions
- Take direction from teammates regarding organizing and prioritizing work on a weekly basis
About Radish Lab:
Radish Lab launched in 2012 to work on projects we believe in, with clients we click with. And today, we’re still invested in much more than just the end-product. We care about the people we work with and about the people our work impacts. Using collaboration, compassion, and creativity to solve problems at any scale, we deliver work that blends usability, aesthetics, and ethics.
In our approach to working with clients we are committed to working: With empathy, not ego. With them, not for them. With integrity, not just ideas.
Radish Lab has five core values and we expect you to share them.
- EMPATHY helps us better understand what a project’s goals might really be, why a client’s work is so vital to the people they serve, and why a coworker might be having a bad day
- CURIOSITY enables us to ask better questions, keeps us humble, and nurtures an adventurous spirit
- KINDNESS sounds easy, like holding the door open for someone, but we try and hold ourselves to a higher bar. If you hold the door open for someone then support a system that oppresses them, is that truly kind?
- DIVERSITY. Asking who isn’t at the table is vital. Our work is better when we have a diverse team, client contacts, and stakeholders
- CAMARADERIE. Having genuinely good working relationships with our colleagues makes our days more enjoyable, and makes our work better
A Few Current Clients:
Women’s Refugee Commission, (RED) – The Global Fund to Fight Aids, American Cancer Society, UNICEF, BRAC, and Promundo.
Radish Lab is a certified B Corp, which means we’re held accountable for meeting the highest standards of overall social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
Radish Lab is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or the interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
No recruiters, please.
Knowledge of and/or ability to research design history, trends, vocabulary, best practices, and accessibility as it applies to a given project
- Experience with Figma or other prototyping software for interface design
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or similar design tools including Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign for additional web asset production, light image editing, and small scale print layout projects
- Knowledge of or interest in specializing in one of the following disciplines that can be incorporated into your work: user experience design, branding, data visualization, infographics, print design, or illustration
- Is self sufficient and accountable in daily tasks and time management, and is able to ask for help when roadblocks and challenges arise
- Able to ask questions to gain clarity and understanding of a project
- Can participate in giving actionable design feedback in internal meetings and reviews that builds on the brief and follows best practices
- A demonstrated commitment to social change in a professional or personal context
- A genuine desire to work with a team of kind, empathetic, and curious people looking to create thoughtful and meaningful work, while also having fun
Our member agencies are always looking for the best candidates to hire.