The Groundbreaking Updates: Shopify 2.0 With New Features
Shopify 2.0 is the new storefront experience from Shopify that includes a host of groundbreaking updates. It’s easily the biggest set of updates Shopify have introduced since they launched in 2006 and has ushered in a new era for D2C e-commerce. Ask Phill has outlined the key benefits of Shopify 2.0 which offer wide a range of features.
There’s never been a better moment to utilize Shopify to create e-commerce websites. Shopify has been one of the top SaaS platforms for years, but in 2022, it’s clearer than ever that it’s the best of the best.
Here’s a short rundown of the 2.0 updates:
- Theme Editor: The new theme editor brings everything together in one place. Merchants make changes directly in the editor, improving the Shopify UX.
- New Theme Architecture: Template files are now JSON objects, not Liquid files, so it’s much easier to customize your store and make it look more unique.
- Metafields: Developers can host and edit metafields within the admin. Metafields are also no longer limited in their text lengths and there’s no need to hard code metafields into themes with Liquid.
- Developer tooling: Shopify 2.0 is more efficient because of the new Github integration. Developers don’t have to build their own systems for deploying and managing theme code changes.
- App Extensions: The new app extensions update makes it possible for Shopify apps to co-exist as separate entities in the store without reducing the store’s speed.
- Checkout Extensions: Lastly, app developers can now add many different features to the check-out phase and designers can add visual elements which bring more flexibility to building a store.
Moreover, you can edit the whole checkout appearance with brand API.
These updates have a range of key benefits. Perhaps most notably is Shopify stores run faster. There’s less need for outside integrations which keeps the code down to a minimum and the store as light as possible.
Shopify 2.0 is also easier, faster, and more enjoyable for developers. Keeping developers happy is important because it subsequently improves the quality of their work. Shopify 2.0 websites are higher performing and quicker to build, ultimately bringing in more sales and increased revenue for the brands using them.
Here at Ask Phill Ask Phill has jumped on Shopify 2.0 immediately and is already rolling out their new Shopify starter theme.
With the new functionality available in Shopify 2.0, Ask Phill already has clients asking them whether it’s best to stay native to the Shopify platform or to go headless with their custom setup on Shopify Plus, Contentful, and Gatsby.JS.
For all the info on this, read Ask Phill’s two longer articles linked at the top of this summary. If you still need more information, please feel free to contact their team at any time. Ask Phill is happy to discuss your e-commerce ideas and will help you identify the perfect solution for futureproofing your business and growing it to the next level.
Shopify 2.0 is the industry standard for the new era in e-commerce and Ask Phill is already scaling clients around the world with websites built solely on the Shopify platform. Are you ready to be next?
About Ask Phill
Ask Phill is an award-winning e-commerce agency, specializing in strategy, design, development, and data-driven growth. Ask Phill is a certified Shopify Plus partner and Europe’s leading headless Shopify Plus development agency.
They collaborate with fashion, lifestyle, and beauty brands around the globe, building scalable, data-driven stores that are optimized for high-performance growth.