Impression Drives 121% Increase in Number of Indexed URLs of a B2B Website
B2B website EMIS sees 121% increase in number of indexed URLs thanks to digital agency Impression.
EMIS is a global company providing market analysis and financial information to businesses on specific companies and industries in over 145 emerging markets, worldwide.
Having witnessed a downturn in organic traffic and revenue following the launch of their eCommerce function, EMIS sought the specialist technical SEO services of Impression to aid them in recovering and further growing their organic traffic levels and online visibility.
Given the unique scale of the EMIS website, store pages were deprioritised in the crawl queue and never indexed meaning they became undiscoverable by customers leading to a loss in organic traffic and revenue.
Their objectives were to:
- Increase the number of company profile and industry report pages included in Google’s index and therefore eligible to appear in organic search results
- Raise organic landing page sessions for company profile and industry report pages
Impression worked “outside of the box”, implementing a strategy which sits outside of conventional SEO. With a strong focus on technical SEO, innovation and creativity, Impression has been able to implement bespoke data driven solutions, resulting in significant organic traffic growth for EMIS.
Their strategy focused on 3 core areas;
1. Content Quality & Automation
- In order to resolve thin and duplicate content issues across millions of company profile and industry report pages they needed to devise a way of generating content that had enough inherent variance to avoid duplication.
- They achieved this via an automated sentence generation system which utilised company variables such as name, country and turnover alongside dynamically generated unique copy.
2. Search Engine Crawler Efficiencies
- Given the sheer scale of the EMIS site, they needed to ensure that the site was easy for search engines to crawl, discover and index the most valuable content. They provided an in-depth audit to highlight current issues which were hindering the crawl efficiency of the domain, whilst setting out clear recommendations to resolve these issues.
3. Providing Bespoke Solutions
- Bespoke indexing and sitemap reporting: In order to identify poor performing areas of the store they created a sitemap hierarchy that reflected both the categorisation of company profiles by country and content quality – a system developed by Impression to grade content quality per country sitemap and ensure strategic submission of URLs to Google’s index. Impression then created a bespoke sitemap and indexing report to provide detailed index coverage information for over 7 million URLs.
- Bespoke crawl software innovations: As the site was over 6,000,000 URLs there was no feasible way to completely crawl the domain via traditional cloud crawling tools. They, therefore, crawled the domain using a bespoke set up of the Screaming Frog SEO Spider.
The results below reflect a period from 2019:
- 121% increase in number of indexed URLs
- 42% increase in organic sessions for company and industry report landing pages
Brian Mulligan, Chief Marketing Officer, EMIS said:
We have been working with Impression for a couple of years now on a major project to improve the search engine visibility of our web pages in markets across the world. I have found them to be systematic, thorough and creative in the way that they approach the complex challenges we face. They have been instrumental in guiding our thinking around SEO and have become a valuable knowledge partner in a critical area for our business.
Impression is a multi-award winning digital agency, specialising in the delivery of high performance campaigns across SEO, PPC, analytics and digital PR.