Imagine you could easily connect with your family and friends and feel like you’re in the same room — even when you’re miles apart?
Facebook is excited to announce Portal and Portal+, two new video communication devices for the home that dramatically aims to change the way people keep in touch. Portal makes video calling easier which seems more like hanging out and tanks to AI technology, a widescreen display lets you enjoy every moment together. If you want to be there, Portal and Portal+ let you feel there.
With a 10-inch 1280 x 800 display, Portal improves video calling and lets you spend time with family and friends — hands and distraction free. Looking for a larger screen for more flexibility? You can also opt for a 15-inch 1920 x 1080 pivoting display with Portal+. Both models are designed to help you feel closer to the important people in your life and make video chats feel less like a call, and more like you’re actually in the same room.
Intelligent Design, Invisible Tech
Powered by AI, Portal’s Smart Camera and Smart Sound technology take all of the guesswork out of video calling, letting you enjoy a more convenient, hands-free experience. Whether you’re cooking in the kitchen or chasing the kids around the living room, Smart Camera stays with the action and automatically pans and zooms to keep everyone in view. Smart Sound minimizes background noise and enhances the voice of whoever is talking, no matter where they move. It’s like having your own cinematographer and sound crew direct your personal video calls.
Connect with Facebook and Facebook Messenger Friends
You can call Facebook friends and connections on Messenger even if they don’t have Portal. Calls can be made to and from Messenger-enabled smartphones and tablets. Portal supports group calls of up to seven people at the same time.
Portal offers hands-free voice control. You can start a video call simply by saying “Hey Portal” and noting who you’d like to call. Portal also has Amazon Alexa built in, so you have access to a robust voice experience to ask for sports scores, check the weather, control smart home devices, order groceries, and more.
Built with Privacy + Security in Mind
They know that privacy and security are important when you bring new technology into your home. That’s why Portal is designed with tools that give you control, such as:
• You can completely disable the camera and microphone with a single tap.
• Portal and Portal+ also come with a camera cover, so you can easily block your camera’s lens at any time and still receive incoming calls and notifications, plus use voice commands.
• To manage Portal access within your home, you can set a four- to 12-digit passcode to keep the screen locked. Changing the passcode requires your Facebook password.
• Facebook also wants to be up front about what information Portal collects, helps people understand how Facebook will use that information, and explains the steps the platform takes to keep it private and secure:
• Facebook doesn’t listen to, view, or keep the contents of your Portal video calls. Your Portal conversations stay between you and the people you’re calling. In addition, video calls on Portal are encrypted, so your calls are always secure.
• For added security, Smart Camera and Smart Sound use AI technology that runs locally on Portal, not on Facebook servers. Portal’s camera doesn’t use facial recognition and doesn’t identify who you are.
• Like other voice-enabled devices, Portal only sends voice commands to Facebook servers after you say, “Hey Portal.” You can delete your Portal’s voice history in your Facebook Activity Log at any time.
Portal also enables shared activities like listening to music together or watching some of your favorite shows. They’ve partnered with Spotify Premium, Pandora, and iHeartRadio, as well as Facebook Watch, Food Network and Newsy — and more will be coming soon.
If you can’t wait for people use Portal and Portal+ to connect with friends and family. From AR-enhanced storytelling at bedtime to your Saturday morning ritual, you’ll be able to share everyday moments and feel like you’re really there!