VP of Program Management
Y Media Labs is looking for a VP of Program Management to join their office in San Francisco.
Position: VP of Program Management
Posted: 16 July 2020
YML is a design and digital product agency. We create innovative products that export Silicon Valley to the world.
Since 2009, we have led early-stage startups and top-tier brands to “wow” their customers with best-in-class digital products and experiences. Our work has created category leaders in retail (The Home Depot) and insurance (State Farm), as well as laid the digital foundation for the next generation of Fortune 500 companies (Credit Karma, PayPal, Mercari and more).
Our bread and butter is in digital products, prototypes, customer experience, service design, and moment mapping. Our work has been recognized by Steve Jobs (ya, that Steve Jobs) and featured by TED Talks, in The Wall Street Journal (“YML is one of the most innovative companies in Silicon Valley”), Forbes, Ad Age, ABC, CNBC and more. We are not a marketing agency. No campaigns. No media buying.
We create products and experiences that make a lasting impact, ranging from Molekule (the 2016 Time Invention of the Year) to Universal Music Artists (now a Webby award-winning app) to building the future of Google’s AI with Tensorflow (really).
We started as a team of two, now we’re 250 strong. We have six offices on three continents and are headquartered in Silicon Valley.
• Portfolio of our work can be found @ ymedialabs.com/work
• Live look into our engineering team @ medium.com/ymedialabs-innovation
• Live look into our design team @ dribbble.com/ymedialabs
Our project management group drives a seamless product delivery that will delight our clients and their customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, design and quality assurance teams, you will build software that solves real-world problems. You are a passionate advocate for software quality, its role in our society and its relationship to technology. You possess outstanding project management skills, and a solid understanding of contemporary tools and product methodologies.
As our VP of Program Management, you will be responsible for overall project delivery with a focus on operational excellence, project finance, risk mitigation, and building a strong program management team. You’ll own setting the direction for the Program Management team including defining, implementing, and optimizing standards and processes, while also owning the overall portfolio health dashboard, managing up to the leadership team, and digging in where needed to successfully recover projects in crisis.
As a leader throughout the project life cycle, you are focal to the impact of the engagement. You facilitate various project workshops and processes enabling a cross-functional effort that will bring an exceptionally high-quality product and experience to consumers.
• Day to day responsibility and management of the Program Management department including continually assessing and up-leveling the overall competency of the team
• Defining, implementing, and continually optimizing expectations, standards, templates, and processes for the team
• Owning overall usage and adherence of designated project management tools
• Mentor the team in the creation all project artifacts, including project plans, statements of work, status reports, etc.
• Regularly assessing and communicating portfolio and project health – including scope management, resourcing, schedule and budget
• Effectively managing risk, escalation and conflict negotiation across the portfolio
• Escalating issues to the leadership team and marshaling resources as appropriate
• Rolling up sleeves where needed to successfully recover projects in crisis
• Drive cross-functional teams towards extraordinary product deliveries
• 10 years minimum experience practicing project management within an agency environment along with 6 years minimum specializing in digital products
• Proven track record managing a portfolio of 15+ projects supported by 100+ people and $15M+ in revenue
• Can demonstrate experience of directly rolling up sleeves to tackle and resolve issues (regardless of how big or how small) to get the job done and ensure both client and company success
• Experience directly overseeing staffing & resource allocation for the agency (separate from team hiring)
• Experience working with on and offshore teams
• Experience creating, implementing, leading (and standardizing) a standard approach for scoping efforts
• Experience managing, coaching, growing and nurturing a group of 10+ people
• Scrum master certification or experience
• Proven track record delivering strong project financial results (including on scope on time, on budget) while managing changes as needed
• Experience working with a pool of shared resources across offices and geographies
• Ability to function effectively and communicate with cross-functional teams — Design, Project/Product Management, Quality Assurance, Strategy, Data Science, Innovations Team, Marketing, Talent, etc, and manage continuously changing business needs
• Excellent client-facing and communication skills
• Proven Leader — you are both a team leader and a team player
• Resourceful — you are a go-getter that leads by example, believes in searching for answers and is an endless problem solver
• Communicative — You are a master communicator: you make your point clearly and concisely, knowing what points to highlight depending on your audience
• Clear — you provide clear and actionable direction to your team and clients
• Honesty — Honesty and Integrity are key values for you personally, and you bring them to the workplace every day
• Collaborative — a dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback, and you are not afraid to push back when you need to defend the team
• Realist — Overpromising and underdelivering are not part of your vocabulary. Knowing how to manage realistic expectations and meeting or exceeding them is what drives your behavior
• Process-driven — You believe in creating and improving processes that work correctly for a given project, following the process, and ensuring that any modifications are vetted, communicated, and followed
• Passionate — You love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in the shaping future
Job Application Link: https://ymedialabs.com/role?gh_jid=P_AAAAAAIAACBIS9xEDAa6c7