Senior Product Designer
We Discover is looking for a Senior Product Designer to join their office in Sydney.
Position: Senior Product Designer
Posted: 11 March 2020
We Discover is a Design and UX Research Studio offering a range of services largely focused around innovating new or existing digital products and/or services. Our team is focused on creating experiences that aim to solve real problems by first performing root cause analysis, using our design thinking and lean frameworks.
We partner with our clients to deliver their products and new ventures in the fastest possible route to market and at the same time never compromise on quality. We’re represented in Sydney and Melbourne and work across a range of industries including telco’s, airline, property, financial institutions, government, startups and more.
Our services range from customer research, user testing, strategy, rapid experimentation, digital marketing and design and delivery solutions. We exist to provide value and meaning back to our client’s customers and users.
We believe in exploring new perspectives and looking at things differently, turning structure upside down, back to front and sideways.
• Implement and iterate on UX Designs & flows creating wire-frames and UX mockups/prototypes to articulate the desired experience to a wide audience
• Carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products
• Lead and facilitate user research, interviews, polls, surveys and prototyping
• Facilitate planning, gathering business requirements and ideation sessions actively promoting strong team collaboration on solutions
• Design for a wide range of accessibility needs, devices and interfaces
• Guide product decisions through user research, customer engagement and iterative feedback loops
• Design the interactions and workflows that go into creating simple, but meaningful experiences
• Identify, understand, synthesise and communicate customer needs
• Prototype the expected user experience using tools such as or similar to Invision, Marvelapp, and Framer, validating the concepts using appropriate user testing techniques
• Provide vision and direction on projects, setting out an approach, generating insights, conducting interviews, testing prototypes and delivering high-quality design outputs
• Frame and communicate challenges and opportunities to teams, and create alignment on a way forward
• Lead design projects from strategy to launch
• Facilitate and lead workshops and design sprints
• Communicate the vision for the design team with the wider team and stakeholders
• Breakdown unnecessary silos and improve working practices by fostering and maintaining effective working relationships with other leads and project teams
• Motivate the team to work with our We Discover ways of working
• Contribute to progressing and improving our culture and ways of working – offering up new approaches
• Practice and encourage a culture of showing and shipping early and often
• You have 5 years + working experience as a Product Designer with proven work experience
• You are available for an immediate start
• You have extensive design experience with plenty of years under your belt, deep knowledge and expertise in product design
• You have a compelling online portfolio or PDF to demonstrating strategic, conceptual and visual expertise
• Your core strengths are in product strategy, UX, product/service design, visual design, spanning UI, research, stakeholder management and prototyping
• You’re familiar with best practices but are just as comfortable challenging them
• You have a solid understanding across some of our other core disciplines – motion, interaction, business analysis
• You are experienced and confident in visualising and prototyping concepts fast to communicate ideas
• You are able to understand the bigger picture and think strategically and systemically about opportunities and challenges
• You are comfortable with ambiguity and able to move projects forward
• You are comfortable, confident and competent at leading projects
• You are confident at using design tools such as Figma, Photoshop, Sketch, Azure, Invision
• You are proficient in and have examples of how you resolve difficult design challenges
• You have proven experience working on things that exist in the real world, not only as design comps or prototypes
• You sweat the details to ensure that you and the team deliver remarkable products on time and on budget consistently
• You have proven capabilities of shipping products across the full product lifecycle and across a variety of platforms
• You are a customer focused, self-managing problem solver, accountable and able to thrive in autonomous environments
• You are creative and flexible under changing settings, you have the courage to be heard, a sense of humour, passionate about design and technology and a lifelong learner
We offer a competitive package, including:
• Generous training and development budget
• Flexible and creative working space
• Best of both worlds: start-up vibes, paired with enterprise-scale work
• A fun, casual, energy-rich and culturally diverse environment
• Flat structure approach but with the autonomy to learn and grow
• Monthly catered lunches/breakfasts
• Spot bonuses offered for recognising exceptional performance/going the extra mile
• Career progression opportunities
• Quarterly team social events
• Fun Fridays (ping pong comp and team social events)
• Employee Perks with Perkbox – including perks, discounts, and freebies from big-name brands
• Free annual leave days offered during the Christmas shut down period (on top of statutory annual leave entitlements and at the sole discretion of We Discover management)
• A wide variety of snacks and beverages
• Scope to make the role your own
• An environment that encourages being fit and healthy (both mentally and physically)
Our Core Values:
• Customer-centric: You are passionate about delivering end-to-end meaningful experiences for every customer
• Honest: You are sincere and act in the best interest of the company, our clients and your teammates
• Empathetic: You have the ability to understand and share the feelings of others
• Friendly: You are kind, don’t talk badly about others and you go beyond to help your teammates
• Professional: You are pleasant and polite to others, carry yourself in a respectful manner and avoid acting out by being angry or defensive
• Transparent: You exchange information and feedback frequently to strengthen relationships, ensure alignment, and elevate
• Results-driven: You aim high and go beyond tradition and standards to reach our goals
• Constantly evolving: You are never satisfied and are unafraid to be a better version of yourself
As a part of the interview process, please be prepared to present a portfolio of your previous work. We’re particularly excited to see how you approach problem-solving, decision-making, and process to understand how you arrived at your final designs.
We’re looking forward to meeting you!
We Discover is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to providing an inclusive, collaborative working environment.
To be eligible, you must be currently located in Sydney, Australia with valid working rights. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide Visa Sponsorship for this position.
Due to the anticipated high volume of responses, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job Application Link: wediscover.com.au/join-us/senior-product-designer/