Design Director (Executive)
Engine Digital is looking for a Design Director to join their office in Vancouver.
Employer: Engine Digital
Location: Vancouver / Canada
Position: Design Director (Executive)
Executive Design Director Wanted
We’re a team of strategists, designers, and technologists, driven by a shared passion for creating thoughtful digital platforms, products, and services that span web, mobile, and connected spaces. Based in Vancouver and New York City, we’re focused on changing how organizations connect with users in an increasingly digital world. If you’re up for that challenge, you should join us.
Being a Design Leader at Engine Digital
We believe that small, collaborative, and cross-functional teams are best equipped to achieve the most optimal project outcomes. Within these teams, members of our Design group play a critical role in each and every project, ensuring that the work we produce is supported by principles, and delivers on the needs and expectations of end users and the business. Working alongside our Strategy and Technology teams, our designers contribute an innate understanding of form and function to ensure our work is always thoughtful, intuitive, and innovative.
As Executive Design Director, you will lead our Design group with a focus on constant improvement to the research, ideation, and design process, exploring new ways to deliver exceptional work. You’ll partner with our heads of Strategy and Technology to ensure cross-functional collaboration, cross training, and knowledge sharing between areas of expertise. Your ability to attract, manage, support, and nurture design talent will ensure we’re continually growing a team of leaders. As a member of our leadership team, you’ll help to increase the agency’s reputation as a leading design consultancy, through a clear perspective supported by thought leadership.
The ideal candidate will have experience leading a design team within an agency or consultancy environment, supporting enterprise clients in the areas of brand, digital strategy, user interface for products and platforms, and service design. This is also an entrepreneurial role – we’re looking for someone who understands what it takes to run a studio and scale business.
We’re looking to fill this role in our Vancouver studio, however candidates should be comfortable with and able to travel frequently to our NYC studio and client locations across North America.
• Lead the Design practice group, setting benchmarks for exceptional work
• Manage, mentor, and empower a team of leaders, makers, and innovators
• Ensure all outputs and deliverables are of the highest level of quality and precision
• Help define project goals and objectives that go beyond the brief
• Guide the team towards creativity and empathy in solving our clients’ business challenges
• Play a lead role in client workshops, presentations, reviews, and pitches
• Lead and support cross-functional teams in concepting, ideation, and scoping
• Foster an environment that balances high performance with happiness and healthiness
• Support resourcing, scope definition, and sourcing partners where needed
• Support the new business team on evaluation, preparation, and pitching new clients
• Help to further establish the agency’s brand, perspectives, and reputation as a lead design firm at events, conferences, and through the agency’s own channels
Required Skills & Experience
• 10+ years experience in a digital agency, consultancy, or start-up environment
• Experience and success in leading, mentoring, and growing a design group
• A strong book of work that demonstrates skills, craft, thinking, and expertise
• An innate familiarity of design for web, mobile, digital platforms, products, services, and brand
• Master level proficiency with tools including Sketch, Adobe CS, Invision, and Keynote
• Focused, organized, and strategic in how you manage your time
• Ability to communicate, present, and sell through ideas internally and to clients
• A desire to play a leadership role, yet still open to getting your hands dirty
• A personal perspective and principles about design and its role in shaping experiences
• Degree in design or communications an asset but not a requirement
• An entrepreneurial aptitude and interest in joining at the leadership level
• Candidates should be a resident of Vancouver or willing to relocate
In addition to an exceptional company culture, we offer the following benefits to all employees:
• A welcome kit, a brand new MacBook, and all the tools you need on day one
• Personal learning budget for classes, events, and conferences, and access to General Assembly, Treehouse, Udemy, and One Month to help you expand your skills
• Winter holiday break in addition to 3 weeks vacation time to start
• Office snacks, coffee, tea, beer, and monthly birthday lunches
• Holiday parties, happy hours, and team building activities
• Health and dental coverage
• Offices in two of the best cities in the world – Vancouver and New York City
• An incredible global client list including some of the most recognized brands
• Focused yet casual work environment in downtown Vancouver and close to public transit
How to Apply
If this sounds like a fit, please apply through our online application form. Only candidates with an online portfolio or work samples and the required level of experience may be shortlisted and contacted. Please clearly state your personal contribution to each project submitted. If you have a blog or other online projects, please send those URLs along too. Extra attention will be given to creative candidates who are active online.
No recruiters, agencies, or phone calls please.
Engine Digital is a Vancouver and New York City based digital consultancy focused on improving the way organizations engage with users across digital channels.
#404-717 West Pender Street Vancouver, BC V6C 1G9 Canada