Skidmore Studio is looking for a Creative Director to join their team in Detroit.
We’re looking for a dynamic individual to fill our open Creative Director role. They will have experience and expertise setting the creative vision for clients and accounts, and guiding creative teams to produce the highest-quality work. The right fit will be able to jump between copy docs, design reviews, Keynotes, and client workshops without blinking twice. This person will have a creative discipline they personally excel in—strategy, copywriting, or graphic design—and be the lead, client-facing creative role on all projects, working strategically with a dedicated Account Lead and Producer.
(While our team is working remotely for the foreseeable future, this role is full-time and eventually based out of our studio space in Detroit. We’re a close-knit, thoughtful team and excited to add a new member to our ranks.)
Skidmore Studio is a strategic creative studio located in the heart of downtown Detroit. Founded as an illustration shop in 1959, the studio helps consumer-facing organizations grow through expert branding and design. The team of writers, strategists, and designers craft brands that get today’s consumers excited about products on shelves, online, and in their everyday lives. Skidmore works with locally and nationally recognized brands such as Xenith, Stroh’s, Inspired Organics, and Universal Orlando Resort.
We help organizations grow through expert brand strategy and design. Our approach is thoughtful, collaborative, and rooted in real business goals. Every member of the Skidmore team is expected to continuously strive to fulfill the Studio’s core purpose and uphold our core values:
Core Purpose: To help good organizations and good people grow.
• Be creative – In all things we do
• Challenge – Ourselves, our clients, and each other
• Team – Work together. Be humble. Extend Grace
• Enjoy – Share positive energy and gratitude
• Integrity – Do the right thing
• Communication – Speak openly and candidly
• Details. Details. Details.
• 5+ years (or equivalent experience) as a Director-level Creative in branding, marketing, and/or advertising, with experience in an agency or studio setting
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Apple Keynote, and G-Suite, experience with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
• Experience (and the work samples to prove it) in at least one of the following industries: food & bev, e-commerce, cannabis, or retail
• Work with Account Lead to set vision and direction for clients
• Write Creative Briefs and set the creative vision for projects and accounts
• Stay knowledgeable and informed in branding and marketing trends and strategies for consumer brands
• Work with Producer to create clear project plans that lead to extraordinary, on-budget work, ensuring that the creative teammates and outside partners are being applied in their highest and best use
• Capture and respond to feedback in a way that values others and shows that their input is respected
• Participate as an individual contributor on projects, if needed (within your creative discipline)
• Lead client strategy and new business workshops
• Lead client presentations
• Lead internal reviews, meetings, and brainstorms
• Represent and communicate the expertise of the Studio in new business work, building positive relationships with new business leads
• Present, defend and advocate for our creative and ideas as an expert in both our work and our clients’ unique needs, pains and priorities
• Lead creative teammates, giving them creative direction and holding them accountable to create extraordinary work
• Create a project environment in which your creative team can be effective and fulfilled, and can collaborate to create extraordinary strategy, copy, and design that solves project problems
• Ensure that all creative work is strategically sound, well-written, beautifully designed, presented well, solves project problems, and is on-budget
• Skilled communicator and presenter; extraordinary in front of clients. Enthusiastic, thoughtful, confident, and energetic
• Excellent writing skills
• Rooted in human-centered design principals and research methods
• Lover of capital-D Design; it shouldn’t just look pretty—it needs to solve real business problems and consumer needs
• Forward-thinking in creative work, pushing creative teams to explore the new and the next
• Strategic, organized thinker who’s comfortable with ambiguity
• Think holistically about your work and collaborate with other team members to make their work – and your own – even better
• Follow Studio processes to deliver work on time and on budget
• Desire to remove “not possible” from your vocabulary; substitute with “how might we…”
Skidmore Studio is an equal opportunity employer. Those underrepresented in the creative community are encouraged to apply.
• Paid time off: Paid vacation days, 13 paid holidays per calendar year, and unlimited paid sick/personal time
• Medical Coverage: The Studio pays a portion of the premium for both employees and eligible family members
• Dental Coverage: 100% Studio paid
• Vision Coverage: 100% Studio paid
• 401K Plan: Sponsored 401k retirement savings plan which includes an employer match
• Wellness Reimbursement: Monthly wellness stipend
• Paid Parking: All full-time employees working on-site at the Studio will receive access to free parking
• Wireless Communication Stipend: Stipend for personal cell phone and home internet expenses during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Job Application Link: https://apply.workable.com/skidmore-studio/