Engine Digital is looking for a Back-End Developer to join their Vancouver office.
Employer: Engine Digital
Location: Vancouver/ Canada
Position: Back-End Developer (Intermediate)
We’re a team of strategists, designers, and technologists, driven by a shared passion for creating thoughtful digital platforms, products, and services that span web, mobile, and connected spaces. Based in Vancouver and New York City, we’re focused on changing how organizations connect with users in an increasingly digital world. If you’re up for that challenge, you should join us.
About the role
As an Intermediate Back-End Developer, you’ll contribute a broad range of technical expertise, contributing to the planning and implementation of functionality and logic across web and mobile platforms and products. As part of a project team, you’ll help to define the most effective approach to prioritizing and implementing features and requirements against a roadmap, taking into account performance, stability, and scalability. Your experience in navigating the diverse ecosystem of tools, frameworks, and 3rd party platforms will ensure the team is exploring a range of approaches to deliver the right solutions for our clients and their users.
• Support and collaborate in planning, development, testing, and delivery/deployment of solid, structured, and standards-compliant code
• Understand scope, project goals, and requirements, and provide input towards practical solutions, innovations, and time estimation
• Participate in ideation sessions, workshops, and roadmapping, contributing a perspective on improved production and development approaches, tools, and techniques
• Collaborate in strategic planning of desktop and mobile websites, web apps, and native mobile apps, assessing opportunities for driving innovation from a development perspective
• Participate in the sourcing and documentation of requirements through stakeholder engagement, research, evaluation
• Support the planning and documentation of technical architecture, operations, and maintenance for the code we deliver
• Test, refactor, and optimize code to achieve the best performance, and strive for flawless and bug free deliverables by making quality assurance a top priority
• Follow industry best practices, and coding standards developed by the agency and contribute to internal and external knowledge sharing
• Understanding our clients’ business, their needs, and the technical opportunities and challenges that exist within their categories
• 3-5 years experience in back-end and server-side web and mobile development with a focus on custom applications, Linux/Unix and open source, including Laravel, PHP (LAMP), and Ruby
• Thorough understanding and working experience with CS fundamentals including automation, algorithmic processes, data modeling, and design patterns
• Experience with database design, solution architecture, and development with MySQL, MongoDB and cloud hosting with AWS and Heroku
• Experience integrating with web services APIs via JSON and REST
• Experience planning, prototyping, developing, and testing for web, mobile/tablet, SaaS products, connected devices, and other interactive experiences
• Experience with setup, implementation, and integration with payment gateways (Stripe) and merchant account providers
• Experience in behavioral development, test-driven development, continuous integration and delivery, and agile including scoping and roadmappping, and self-management
• Familiarity with secure web application practices (authentication, authorization, encryption), SSL, web application firewall, web service proxy, and multi protocol gateways
• Familiarity with both open source and enterprise CMS and ecommerce platforms and integration including WordPress, Adobe Experience Manager, Squarespace, Shopify, and Magento
• Familiarity with native mobile development and mobile app frameworks a nice to have
• An interest and general understanding of machine learning and AI a nice to have
• Digital agency or startup team experience preferred
• Degree in Web Development or Computer Science preferred but not required
• Candidates should be a resident of Vancouver or willing to relocate and able to travel
In addition to an exceptional company culture, we offer the following benefits to all employees:
• A welcome kit, a brand new MacBook, and all the tools you need on day one
• Personal learning budget for classes, events, and conferences, and access to General Assembly, Treehouse, Udemy, and One Month to help you expand your skills
• Winter holiday break in addition to 3 weeks vacation time to start
• Office snacks, coffee, tea, beer, and monthly birthday lunches
• Holiday parties, happy hours, and team building activities
• Health and dental coverage
• Offices in two of the best cities in the world – Vancouver and New York City
• An incredible global client list including some of the most recognized brands
• Focused yet casual work environment in downtown Vancouver and close to public transit
How to Apply
If this sounds like a fit, please apply through our online application form. Only candidates with an online portfolio or work samples may be shortlisted and contacted. Please clearly state your personal contribution to each project submitted. If you have a Github profile, blog, or other online projects, please send those URLs along too. Extra attention will be given to creative candidates who are active online.
No recruiters, agencies, or phone calls please.
Engine Digital is a Vancouver and New York City based digital consultancy focused on improving the way organizations engage with users across digital channels.
#404-717 West Pender Street Vancouver, BC V6C 1G9 Canada